Ripon to Ripley (Abbeys Amble Day 1) 17th January 2014
Ripon is the starting point of the long distance walk Abbeys Amble which are going to do over the next few weeks. The starting point for us was Ripon Cathedral before heading off to Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal with the walk ending at Ripley Castle.
There has been a stone church on the site since 672 when Saint Wilfrid replaced the previous timber church of the monastery at Ripon (a daughter house of Aiden’s monastery at Melrose) with one in the Roman style. This is one of the earliest stone buildings erected in the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria. The crypt dates from this period.
People have been coming to worship and pray at Ripon for more than 1,350 years. The Cathedral building itself is part of this continuing act of worship, begun in the 7th century when Saint Wilfrid built one of England’s first stone churches on this site, and still renewed every day.
Click on picture to enlarge
Fountains Abbey is one of the largest and best preserved ruined Cistercian monasteries in England. It is located approximately three miles south-west of Ripon in North Yorkshire, near to the village of Aldfield. Founded in 1132, the abbey operated for over 400 years, until 1539, when Henry VIII ordered the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
The abbey is a Grade I listed building owned by the National Trust and part of the designated Studley Royal Park including the Ruins of Fountains Abbey a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The earliest part of the house was built circa 1230, with its Undercroft consisting of the three surviving vaulted rooms ground floor rooms on the east side of the house.This earlier house was bought and enlarged by Canon John de Markenfield, who received the Licence to Crenellate the Hall on 28 February 1310 resulting in the distinctive outline that you see to this day. The Markenfield family owned the Hall until their fateful involvement in the Rising of the North in 1569. The Rising was quashed and the then owner Sir Thomas Markenfield fled to the Low Countries. The Hall and its surrounding farmland were confiscated for High Treason and from that day until 1761 the Hall became a tenanted farm with an absentee landlord. The house was bought – and essentially saved – in 1761 by Fletcher Norton, the first Lord Grantley of Markenfield (a title still held by the family). At a time when it was quite fashionable own a ruin, Norton replaced the roof of the Great Hall ensuring that the house was watertight and structurally sound once more.In 1980 7th Lord Grantley began the restoration of Markenfield – turning it from a cold and draughty farmhouse in to the much-loved family home that visitors see today.
A castle dating from the 15th century, Ripley Castle, has been the home of the Ingilby family for 700 years. The present owner is Sir Thomas Ingilby, 6th Baronet (see Ingilby Baronets), the 28th generation. The castle, which has a priest hole, is open for public tours. The landscaped castle grounds and ornamental lakes are also open to the public.
A nineteenth century Ingilby tore down the old village and modelled it after an Alsatian village with an hôtel de ville style town hall. The castle and the parish church were not affected by the reconstruction.
|Ripon to Ripley Route
Total Distance 19.5km
Total Time 5:50 hrs
Ave Moving Time 3.7km
Ave Speed 3.5km
Total Ascent 262m
Total Descent 241m